Monday, January 9, 2012

Hot Fudge Sundae Cake

As if Christmas hadn't brought enough treats, chocolates, and fattening goodies... I decided I wanted to make something for dessert that we hadn't yet tried.

I opened up my 21 year old Betty Crocker Cookbook that I received as a wedding gift, and on the first page marked "Baked & Cooked Desserts" was the recipe for Hot Fudge Sundae Cake.   I perused the ingredients to make sure I had everything on hand. Sounded too easy.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
In an ungreased 9x9x2 baking pan (I only had an 8x8x2.5 which worked fine) mix together the following dry ingredients:

1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 TBS cocoa (I used dark cocoa)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Mix in the following wet ingredients using a fork until smooth:

1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 TBS vegetable oil

You can stir in 1 cup chopped nuts if you desire... someone in my household does not desire nuts, so we skipped them :) The recipe also says instead of nuts you might want to try a cup of miniature marshmallows... mmmm.

Spread the batter evenly around the pan.
Sprinkle with 1 cup packed brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa.  Then pour 1 3/4 cups hottest tap water over the sugar and cocoa.  (Don't stir, just leave it a puddle)

Bake for 40 min.
Serve warm and with a dollop of whipped cream or some vanilla ice cream.

This really was an easy treat to make from scratch with good, real ingredients.  Plus, you only use one dish to make and bake it!!  Enjoy :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me: