Thursday, September 8, 2011

GIANT Chocolate Chip Cookies


I was on a quest for the best Giant chocolate chips cookies, EVER. 
 I decided to gather information from across cyber space and see what I could do in my very own kitchen.

 Here's what happened.  
After reading several articles on what makes the best cookie... I opted to stick with a tried and true to nearly every American household recipe.  Yes, I speak of the TollHouse cookie recipe on the back of your Nestle chocolate chips package.  Remaining true to my collage-kind of cooking... I took the recipe and added a bit from here and there and everywhere. 
 Here are my alterations:

 THE DOUGH:

  • Instead of all purpose flour, I used 1 cup cake flour and  1 and 1/2 cups bread flour.  
  • I sifted all the dry ingredients together.
  • Instead of Nestles chips, I used Ghirardelli's bittersweet chips. (really any 60% cocoa chip works)

  • I grated the cold butter in order to get it to room temperature faster.
  • I put the two eggs into warm water (inside their shells..duh) in order to get them to room temperature.
  • I refrigerated the dough for 36 hours.  (at least 24 hours).


THE PROCESS:
  • I used a silpat baking mat. 
  • I used an ice cream scooper to scoop the dough.  Yes, they were THAT huge. 
  • Before baking, I sprinkled each ball of dough with a little sea salt.
  • I baked them until the outside ring was golden brown and the middle ring was golden and the center wasn't quite golden.  In my oven it took 11-12 minutes.  
  • Test your own oven temps by watching the first batch carefully.
  • I made 15 giant cookies.



After baking, transfer the entire silpat off the cookie sheet and onto a cooling rack.  I meant to take a picture of all the cookies piled high on a platter, but I wasn't fast enough.  They were gobbled up! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me: