Sunday, September 26, 2010

Chocolate Chip Scones

Chocolate chip scone and iced mocha.
There is no such a thing as too much chocolate!
Oh My Goodness. I just made THEE yummiest scones.

 Betty Crocker Rocks.

Cooler weather always sends me to my kitchen with a strong desire to make something sweet and yummy.  I don't know if it's the fact that I'm no longer sweating in the humidity... or because I feel the need to "store up fat" for the long winter ahead... heh.  Either way my nesting instincts set in and I bake.
    Today, scones were on the menu.  I'm not sure I've ever made scones before. I've certainly eaten them many times.

Keeping my family in mind, I ignored Betty's suggestion of  raisins and opted for Dark chocolate chips instead.  No nuts either...you're welcome, Eric ;)

Here's what I did.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Ingredients:
1/3 c. butter
1 3/4 c. flour
3 TBS sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup currants or raisins ...or dark chocolate chips ;)
4-6 TBS half and half*
1 egg, beaten (yes, another one)

* I didn't have half and half, so I substituted with "homemade" buttermilk... a trick I learned from my Better Homes and Garden cookbook.  To make a buttermilk substitute, I put a tablespoon of lemon juice in 1/2 cup of milk.  Let it sit for a few minutes.   Basically, you're making curdled milk.  I use it when the recipe only calls for a small amount.  In this case it worked out just fine.  

Cut 1/3 cup butter into flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar until resembles small crumbs.  Stir in egg then chocolate chips.  Stir in half and half one tablespoon at a time until dough doesn't stick to the sides of the bowl.

Drop dough onto lightly floured surface and knead 10 times... I have no idea how much one knead is let alone 10 kneads, but I think the idea here is just not to over knead it.  Now, I like the triangular shaped scones, but not the pizza-cut isosceles triangle.  I rolled the dough out into a 1/2" thick long rectangle and made more of  a right angled triangle and even a couple scalene triangles... yes, I googled "triangles".

Put the scones on an ungreased baking dish, brush with (second) beaten egg and bake for 10-12 minutes.  I baked mine for about 15 min., but my oven is like that.

Betty didn't say to drizzle with powdered sugar frosting, but c'mon, it's a no brainer!   Powdered sugar + little bit of milk+ little bit of lemon juice. I made mine a little thicker because I drizzled it over the scones while they were still hot and I didn't want it to just melt away.  You can always add powdered sugar if it's too thin or more milk if it's too thick.

I enjoyed mine with some iced coffee... hmmm...maybe another day I'll share how I make my iced mochas.
Oh, and by the time I finished this post, all the scones were gone.  :)  Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me: